Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Night

At four AM
I watch Belarius play France on TV
In rough hockey at the arena in Park City, Utah
While I play backgammon on the Internet
Against an opponent in Istanbul
Who wants to know about the weather
Here in Atlanta.
Then I write an email to my friend Neil on Long Island
Asking about the visit of his brother from Montana
And their recent journey to the Ground Zero sight.

I flip off the power
And in the dark wind my
Way up the stairs with the dogs trailing
Find my wife in the bed
And run my hand between her warm thighs
Reaching for her other hand behind her head.
I snuggle close, listening to her even breathing
As I sink deeply into the soft pillows
My nose just out of the surrounding down
And drift off
Slowly
Into the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment